Moving Washing MachineApril 6, 2021
Moving washing machines is noticeably different from similar tasks for moving household appliances and other property. The design features of washing machines dictate more thorough preparation and transportation rules.
If you have to deliver a new car from a store or from a seller’s warehouse immediately after purchase, the hassle will be minimized. The equipment will be packed and completely ready for moving. The simplest solution to this problem is to choose a reliable carrier or use the services of the store itself (large chain hypermarkets of household appliances, as a rule, provide such a service). But if you have to move to a new apartment or you decide to take an old car to your dacha, you will have to approach the organization of the process more carefully.
Risks – what is the risk of improper transportation
Briefly about the consequences that can occur as a result of an illiterate approach:
- The failure of their electronics due to a short circuit (the reason is the ingress of liquid).
- Damage to pipes and hoses.
- Breakdown of the drain pump.
- A break in the power cord due to kinking.
- Damage to the shock absorber.
- Damage to parts of the machine – for example, the compartment for the intake of detergent and air conditioner will fall out and crack.
- Scratches, scuffs, cracks in the body of the washing machine or its door.
As you can see, all these breakdowns affect the performance of the equipment. And repairs can be extremely costly, and not always possible. Therefore, read the recommendations below to avoid unpleasant situations.
Moving preparatory stage
It is best to look at the instructions for your unit model. As a rule, the document contains detailed recommendations for preparing the car for transportation. But if this is not possible, then here are the basic steps. This sequence of actions will be correct in almost any case:
- Disconnect the appliance from the electricity.
- Turn off the water tap and then disconnect the water supply and drain hoses. Drain the hoses.
- Drain any water that may have remained inside the machine. To do this, it can be tilted slightly to the side where the drain hose is located.
- Do not forget to also empty the drain filter from the water (at the same time removing the accumulated large debris and coins) and the powder tray.
- Rinse and dry all removable parts thoroughly.
- Twist the hoses and wires carefully and secure them securely to the back of the machine with mounting tape.
The drum is the central part of the movement. Firstly, it is fragile in itself, and secondly, it can damage other parts inside the machine during transportation due to rolling. Therefore, the technology for transporting a washing machine implies that the drum must be secured. To do this, it is optimal to use the shipping bolts that are provided by the manufacturers and come with the equipment upon purchase. Simply screw the bolts into the holes provided on the rear panel.
It is not recommended moving a washing machine without the moving bolts. But if the situation is hopeless, then you can try to fix the drum with improvised means.
If you still have the original box, use it. But now rarely anyone keeps the original packaging from large household appliances for years. Therefore, here is a simple instruction on how to properly pack the unit in moving:
- Prepare the necessary packaging material – sheets of thick corrugated cardboard (you can cut the boxes), air bubble wrap, protective corners made of polyurethane, scotch tape.
- Place the washing machine on corrugated cardboard.
- Protect the corners with corners or with a polyurethane profile. You can secure them with paper tape.
- Completely wrap the body of the clipper with plastic wrap first.
- The second layer is cardboard. It must completely cover the front, bottom, and top of the machine. Carefully tape all joints of the packaging materials.
- On the front, mark with a marker: “glass”, “fragile” or the icon “glass”.
Loading and transportation
It is not permissible to turn over or strongly tilt the washing machine when moving. If it is not always possible to maintain a strictly vertical position (for example, if manual descent down the stairs is supposed), then a slight backward tilt is acceptable.
Some models can be quite heavy – about 100 kg or more. And in this case, it will not be possible to do without special rigging equipment. Better not to risk it and entrust this work to professionals. After all, the machine will need not only to be taken out of the apartment but also loaded into a vehicle.
Can the washing machine be transported lying on its side or back wall? Some people talk about such a possibility, but we do not recommend taking risks. It is better to attract a truck to work and moving the “washing machine” correctly – standing in an upright position. In the body, position the machine sideways in the direction of travel, this minimizes the risk of internal damage. And be sure to fix it with special straps so that the machine does not “jump” and does not come into contact with other objects.
After transporting the washing machine
Everything is simple here. After delivering the machine to its destination, remove the packaging, unscrew the shipping bolts. By the way, they can still come in handy, so we recommend that you attach them directly to the back of the machine so as not to lose them. Check that the vehicle is on a level surface. Done. Now you can connect the machine to communications and check its performance.
If you doubt that you will be able to cope with all stages of moving on your own, or you simply do not want to waste your time and energy on this, then the moving companies will be happy to take care of you.
Another article on this blog that might interests you: